The Chirping Moms: 6 Tips for Managing Summer Laundry

August 2, 2016

6 Tips for Managing Summer Laundry


Disclosure:  This post was sponsored by P&G as part of an Influencer Activation for Influence Central. I received complimentary products to facilitate my review.”

Summer has arrived & it's time to head outside!  We spend lots of time outdoors during the summer months.  This includes playing in the backyard with friends, swimming at the pool all afternoon long, and digging through the mud after summer storms.  It also means playing baseball in the early morning, hitting up the playgrounds for lunchtime picnics, and visiting the sandy beaches for our annual family beach trip.  We really love being outdoors in the summer, but if you are a mom, it also means lots of laundry!  Laundry that is covered in dirt, soaked in chlorine, & filled with sweat.  During the summer, I change my family's laundry routines to best fit our routine & needs.  Below, I am sharing some easy tips that I have discovered over the years on managing laundry all summer long.

1.  Do at least one load per day, six days of the week.  Some days, I have two large loads, but I make sure throw in a load every day.  Figure out your magic number and do the amount each day.  And you may have noticed, I said six days.  Designate a day to not do laundry and enjoy your "off" day!

2.  Stock up on laundry supplies.  I headed to Costco to get all my laundry needs in bulk size, since we go through it so fast & I don't want to have to worry about stocking up every week or so.  I buy the giant container of Gain Original liquid detergent.  My laundry machine holds enough detergent for several loads, so I only have to refill the machine about once a week.  I have found it easiest & cheapest to get a big container of liquid detergent.  I also stocked up on a giant container of Downy April Fresh fabric softener while I was there to keep our clothes feeling extra soft and clean!


3.  Throw a load in during the late afternoon/evening.  During the school year, I always start a load in the morning, but I have found in the summer it is best to wait until towards the end of the day.  Then, I can make sure to get all the wet towels & bathing suits before they sit overnight!  Right before bed, I pop them over to the dryer and then in the morning, they are ready to fold!

4.  Give your clothes an extra fresh scent.  During the summer, I feel like everything gets a little more stinky with all the sweat & chlorine that goes through my kids' clothes.  To freshen your clothes, I recommend grabbing a bottle of Downy Unstopables, an in-wash scent booster.  It keeps clothes smelling fresh & clean.


5.   Pre-Treat stains as soon as possible.  Nothing is worse than some of the stains you see in summer:  chocolate ice cream, kid paints, and mud.  As soon as my kids have something that is stained, the clothes come off.  I have a big sink by my washing machine and I pre-treat the clothes in there.  Next time I do laundry, the items that are soaking go straight into the washing machine. 

6.  While traveling, designate one suitcase for dirty clothes or pack an extra bag just for this reason.  It makes it so much easier to just pop dirty clothes into one bag while on vacation and when you get home, just dump the entire contents of the bag into the washing machine while everything left in the suitcase is still clean and be put back into dressers.



We hope that these tips help you tackle your laundry piles all summer long!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...